With residential roofing, you can look over a wide scope of materials and types. A typical option for homeowners is shingle roofing. Shingles come built from varying materials today. They are additionally available in an assortment of sizes, shapes, and colors to suit any style of home.
That being said, it is important for you to consider the upsides and downsides of shingle material. Various sorts of shingles have their benefits and drawbacks. In this article, we take a look at the advantages and disadvantages of both asphalt shingles and cedar shingles.
Traditionally, shingle roofing utilizes asphalt shingles. This material offers many clear advantages and also has a few disadvantages.
- Reasonable price: Asphalt shingles are a budget-friendly choice, as the material is very affordable compared to different kinds of shingles.
- Simple Installation: Shingles produced using asphalt are lightweight. This makes them easier to carry and handle. Installation is faster and simpler while costing much less than other kinds of shingles.
- Versatile: You can choose from essentially unlimited colors, sizes, and styles. You can even have asphalt shingles that are finished to seem like wood. Such variety makes it simpler for you to coordinate asphalt shingles with your home’s look.
- Low Maintenance: Asphalt shingles are popular and readily available. As a result, you can find replacement shingles easily and at a reasonable cost.
- Energy Efficient: When installed by a reliable roofing company, asphalt shingles are very energy efficient. They help with keeping out the heat in the summers and retain the indoor warmth in the winters.
- Appearance: Black-top shingles look tasteful and dazzling. With the right color and texture, they can enhance practically any structure.
- Inclined to Damage: Asphalt shingles can become damaged rapidly. In harsh climate conditions, you may end up needing to replace or repair several shingles.
- Not as Long Lasting: Asphalt shingles crumble faster than many other kinds of shingles, particularly under direct daylight. Therefore, they are not as long-lasting.
Cedar shingles are striking and appealing. This is the reason homeowners generally pick them for their looks. Here are the upsides and downsides of this kind of shingles.
- Beauty: The clear advantage of cedar shingles is that they are highly beautiful. They are certain to make your roof stand out.
- Durability: Cedar shingles can withstand outdoor elements and storms effectively. Therefore, they are sturdy and long-lasting.
- Weather-Resistant: Compared with different types, cedar shingles are weighty and tough enough to withstand rain, snowstorms, hurricanes, and other elements.
- Eco-Friendly: Cedar shingles are 100% natural and organic. This makes them a very eco-friendly option. This is as opposed to asphalt shingles which have a definitive carbon footprint.
- Energy Efficiency: Cedar shingles are more energy-proficient than asphalt shingles. This due to how they offer almost 2x the insulation as asphalt shingles. They are better at conserving heat in winter and blocking heat in summer.
- Steep Costs: Cedar shingles can cost a pretty penny. This may put them outside the budget of many people. But if you can afford the upfront costs, the value of a cedar shingle roof will pay for the investment.
- Expensive Installation: The cost of installation costs, like the cost of materials, is higher for cedar shingles than asphalt shingles. This is because more effort and experience are required.
- Maintenance: While asphalt shingles only need minimal ongoing maintenance, cedar shingles require routine upkeep. This is to prevent the development of moss or mildew in the shingles.
Hire a Reliable Roofing Contractor in Atlanta, GA
If you want a new shingle roof for your home, contact our team at Atlanta Roofing today. We handle the installation, care, and maintenance of a wide range of roofing shingles. We can likewise work with you to deal with any damage to your shingle roof in the wake of a storm. Give us a call today for a free quote!